Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hints for Bloggers

Not to be a snob or anything, but when I'm browsing in the blog aisle, there are certain words that immediately suggest "lame" or "cliche" to me. I will skim right on past blogs that use the following words or phrases in their self-descriptions:

Just. As in, "just me and what I'm thinking about," or "just the thoughts and ramblings of a SAHM in the Midwest."

Ramblings. As in, "Just the ramblings of a twenty-something crafter."

Musings. As in, "My musings about everyday life, etc., etc."

Random. As in, "...a Detroit resident who blogs about random thoughts and ideas."

Hilarious. As in, "musings on the day-to-day life of a home-schooling mom of six perfectly adorable children. Sometimes poignant, sometimes hilarious." I'll be the judge of hilarious, thank you. Show, don't tell.

My personal blog. Does this really give me, the prospective reader, any useful information at all about your blog? I already know it's a blog, and chances are, you have it listed in the "personal" section of whatever your syndicate is.

Anything and everything under the sun. As in, "just hilarious and random musings about anything and everything under the sun." Come on, people! You're killing me here! I'm choking on the cliches.

My feeling is, if you can't even give me a unique and catchy 10 or 15 word description that doesn't use the same words everyone else is using, then you haven't set yourself apart from the crowd. And really, you bloggers out there want to take my advice, because look at how successful this blog has become! Six loyal, devoted readers--and probably at least 20 random, accidental hits per month.

You're welcome.

Now I need to go check my description to make sure I didn't use any of these blog-busters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to go check my blog now.

Unknown said...

Lil--I checked your blog. I think you're safe. Interesting, too.

cube said...

Me, I stay away from blogs that label themselves as coming from a room of a certain color. It's a big warning sign for me.