Monday, April 5, 2010

A Tiny Sign That Maturity Might Come. Eventually.

Two kids who often fight like feral cats were sitting on the bed, still in their PJs on a Monday morning (thank you, Lutherans), playing on their DSs, together in their virtual world.

"Oh, I'm going to die. I'm going to die," I overheard A. Peevie say. "I'm dead."

And then, the part that made my heart well up with pride and joy, and not a little astonishment:

"You're doing good, M. Peevie," A. Peevie encouraged. "You can do it! You can beat him! Good job, M., good job!"

I don't know about you, but when one of my kids forgets his own (fake/virtual) troubles and opens up a can of Unexpected Maturity to say something kind and encouraging to his sibling, I practically start crying from happiness.

Even if it's just about a video game. Because that's a start, isn't it?

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Oh, that is SO TOTALLY a start! Moments like that are your very first sign that you're a terrific mom! You'll start seeing those more and more....they totally rock!