Monday, June 15, 2009

I Heart Irony

I just got an email request from an business acquaintance to "join Friends of U.S. Senator Roland Burris as we show full support for America's only African-American senator."

The email also indicated that "our senator will address the crowd and answer questions regarding the economic stimulus package." He will also "discuss his plan for our great State," and I should "be sure to attend for complete clarity of his mission."

Yes, Senator, what exactly is your mission? I don't suppose that it has anything at all to do with satisfying your massive ego, does it?

I composed, but didn't send, an email to my colleague that started, "Are you kidding me? The Senator is an embarrassment." Does anyone who's not looking to gain something from his position think that a) he is there because he's qualified; b) he is not a self-seeking, prevaricating, ego-maniac; and c) he is in any way good for Illinois?

I'm not saying this is true of my business acquaintance. I'm just saying that I don't get it. As I mentioned before, along with thousands of other commentators, the whole process was tainted with the appearance, if not the actuality, of inappropriate influence. It would be true of ANYONE who accepted an appointment by our benighted governor.

And here's the hilarious irony of the invitation: the fundraiser is being held at Vain Nightclub. No lie. Vain. Did the event planners not consider the possibility that bloggers with huge audiences such as myself would derive great joy in exploiting the ironical connection?

The Vain website leaves no doubt about the significance of the name and the purpose of the club: "Vain-definition 1) Excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.;" and later, "Live, drink, and party in VAIN."

It kind of reminds me of the parable of the rich fool in Luke 12: Eat, drink and be merry, the foolish rich man thought; but Jesus reminds his disciples that "this very night your life will be demanded from" him, and they would be wise to consider eternity when tempted to pursue vanity and emptiness.

I will not be attending the Burris fundraiser.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Burris makes me nuts! I know a teacher who took students to DC, visited Burris, and raved about the reception he gave them. Huh! Roland Burris that's your role model? Huh!

Unknown said...

Anyone can throw a great reception with taxpayer money. Your teacher friend got suckered, and probably her students, too.