Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I'm Not Ready for Back to School

The Little Peevies have barely been out of school for three weeks, and already the stores are stocked with back-to-school supplies. We haven't even had our family vacation yet! We have barely begun to enjoy sleeping in, making designs with chalk on the sidewalk, splashing in the pool, and soaking up sunshine.

I'm not ready for back-to-school. You can just put your spiral notebooks and colored pocket folders and 50-count #2 pencils right back in the warehouse, because I refuse to even think about school supplies when I'm still thinking about pool supplies.

I'm not ready for assignment notebooks, gluesticks, and Crayola washable markers in classic colors, and I'm definitely not ready for homework. (I hate homework, even more than I did when I was a kid.)

Please, please let me just have summer, before you drag my thoughts back to early morning alarms, school routines, and bus routes. Let me first put up a lemonade stand with my kids, and invite the neighbors to spend a quarter on a Dixie Cup of sweet sunshine. Let me first find some garage sale bargains, and regret my first inadvertent sunburn.

I want more summer! I'm not ready for back-to-school yet.

No comments: