Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolutions 2010

It's hard for me to come up with a bunch of resolutions with a half-empty pitcher of white Russians sitting on the window sill next to me. But I realize that my loyal Green Room readers are waiting with bated breath for a New Year's post, so here goes.

My resolutions for 2010:

1. Listen to new music. One really great way to stay in touch with my kids is through music--but probably not through Dan Fogelberg and Boz Scaggs. I'm just sayin'. My kids have already introduced me to some enjoyable music that I would otherwise never have encountered, like Human, by The Killers.

2. Work out on Wii Fit two or three times per week. That might sound lame to you marathoners and extreme fitness freaks--but for those of use who enjoy the sedentary lifestyle, it's huge. I may alternate with a bit of drumming on Rock Band II, however. I'm sure that'll burn the calories just as much as a lunging lemur or whatever the heck the yoga pose is called.

I've already created my Mii, and the stupid game has informed me that I am obese. I prefer to think of myself as Rubenesque, or pulchritudinous, or zaftig. However, I do realize that my bones and muscles and internal organs could stand for me to be a wii bit more active. (See how I did that with the "wii"?)

3. Write my book. I don't know if I'm a writer--a real writer--or not. But I have to give it a shot. I'm heading up to Grand Rapids for a writers' conference (maybe I'll see you there?), at which I hope to find inspiration and a publisher.

Here's the thing. I'm terrified. I know I can tell a story with a modicum of appeal. I know I can sustain interest for 800 words or so. But 40,000 words? For a wanna-be-writer with undiagnosed ADD, mood swings, mild depression, and a teensy case of OCD (I swear this is true, even though my therapist insists that you can't actually have a "teensy case of OCD"), it's like a guy with no arms and no legs looking up at Mt. Everest with the summit in his heart.

4. Yesterday Reverend Moses Butcher reminded us that "Resolutions don't have the power to change you." This could be problematic in a post about resolutions -- except Rev. Moses Butcher was talking about sin, of course, not about things like using music to connect with your kids, using an insulting electronic toy to have a slightly healthier lifestyle, and putting words down on paper because some part of me believes that another part of me has something worthwhile to say.

Sin is something I know a little bit about. (If "sin" is not in your vocabulary, you can think of this as personal responsibility.) I often fall short, far short, of the person I want to be. I'm far too sarcastic with my children. I'm irritable, impatient, and self-centered, and self-righteous. I frequently put my own needs and desires ahead of the needs and desires of other people.

I don't want to be this way--but I see these behaviors in myself over and over again. So instead of resolving to behave better, to sin less, to be more Jesusy--which will only lead to failure and despair--I will instead resolve to take those sins and carry them, like Pilgrim in John Bunyan's beautiful allegory (a Christian classic, which, if you haven't read it, I recommend that you resolve to do so this year), to the cross, and dump them out there, over and over again.

This is the gospel; this is what has the power to change me.

What are your resolutions?

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Preach it sister. And let me know when the book's done-I can't wait to read it!

Daddy Scratches said...

"Here's the thing. I'm terrified. I know I can tell a story with a modicum of appeal. I know I can sustain interest for 800 words or so. But 40,000 words? For a wanna-be-writer with undiagnosed ADD, mood swings, mild depression, and a teensy case of OCD (I swear this is true, even though my therapist insists that you can't actually have a "teensy case of OCD"), it's like a guy with no arms and no legs looking up at Mt. Everest with the summit in his heart."

1.) Please get out of my head.

2.) Can I just, like, borrow that paragraph? Because there's really not a single thing in it that I couldn't say about myself with complete sincerity.

3.) Happy New Year!

Daddy Scratches said...

PS: Except my ADD is diagnosed ... and I'm going off my meds. Weeeeeeeee!

Anna D. said...

I'm going to the FFW TOO! Have you gone in the past? I was on the student committee in 2006. Maybe I'll bump into you... :)

Unknown said...

AD--I have been to the conference before, twice. Loved it both times. Let's try to hook up for a beverage sometime during the conference!

DaddyS--Sorry for invading your headspace. I'd be honored to share my paragraph with you.

Good luck with the off-med ADDing. I hope you've given your wife a "safe" word so you know if it's time to go back on.

Happy New Year right back atcha.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Unknown said...

Anon--Um, thanks?

Anonymous said...

JRO: You said it so succinctly, Amberly Thrower!

Unknown said...

Jen--Yes, doesn't she have a way with symbols?

I guess I'm going to have to start screening my comments instead of just letting them post. I've been getting a lot of spam comments lately.

jkww said...

for about 8 years now, i've been writing my annual List, which is an idea i ganked from a magazine. instead of writing resolutions, you essentially "own up" to 10 things that you really want in your life. measurable and specific, but not necessarily things over which you have any personal control.

for example:
1. i want to get a new living room rug.
2. i want to score a glowing annual review at work.
3. i want to fall in love.

etc.

then, you seal up the list in an envelope and give it to someone trustworthy for the year. i give mine to my friend jeana. then, at new year's, she gives me last years list in exchange for the new year's list, and i tally up how many of those "wishes" came true. i average 6 out of 10 so far. not bad!

anyway, it's based on the (admittedly) cheesy idea that giving voice to the things you really want will make them more likely to happen, even if you don't look at the list again for a whole year.

i'd add a note here about my 'vision board', but i want you to still be my friend and think that i am at least a little cool, so i'll refrain.

happy resolutioning!