Thursday, July 30, 2009

Yummy Summer Salad

Courtesy of a friend of a friend (my friend J-Ro's friend Lyn), here is a light, tasty, limey summer salad that will be gone before you get a chance to taste it when you bring it to a church pot-luck. I speak from experience.

I took liberties and gave it a name:

Grape Tomato and Black Bean Salad with Garlic Lime Dressing

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced smallish (1/2 inch dice)
1 15-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. red onion, diced
2 T. jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (about 2 peppers)
1/2 t. freshly grated lime zest
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 t. garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 t. ground cayenne pepper
2 ripe avocados, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch or larger pieces

Gently toss tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large, attractive bowl.

Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper until it looks almost creamy. Pour over vegetable mixture. Toss well.

Just before serving, fold the avocados into the salad. Serve at room temperature.

I was going to post a picture of the colorful deliciousness that is this salad, but I couldn't find my camera. Then by the time I found my camera, the salad was all gone. So you're just going to have to use your imagination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JRO: E- I just made this with fresh veggies from the farmer's market. OMG. I went to that Green City Market down in Lincoln Park with all of the fancy people. I had fresh mint ice cream for breakfast.... p.s. another good optional addition to this salad recipe is fresh cilantro. XOXOX