I know of people who have "hate" lists: a list of things they hate, like being cut off in traffic, or paying taxes, or Japanese beetles. That's a tiny bit negative for me. I'd rather offer a list of ten excellent things to love in this imperfect world--no, I mean eleven excellent things:
1. Forgiveness. Man, do I screw up. It's such a relief to know that someone invented forgiveness for people like me.
2. Humility. Not the obsequious Uriah Heep kind, where people act all, "Oh, I'm not really THAT cute" or "Oh, it was nothing, really" after they've given you a kidney. I'm talking about the real kind of humility, that's like an internal glow that makes you want to be near someone, because humility makes her transparent and honest about who she really is, and you know you can be real around her.
3. Books. So many books, so little time. Novels, biographies, mysteries, cartoon collections, philosophy, the Bible. I'm currently reading politics, young adult lit, classics, a prayer classic, and a book about books, called The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books.
4. My children. Today they have been on my last nerve, with their noise and bickering and hyperactivity. But I could not imagine life without them. I know it's a cliche, but parenting them is the best thing I have ever done or will ever do.
5. The sun. Being out in the sun, even if it's cold outside, makes me feel hopeful and happy and optimistic.
6. Words. What is a word, really? It's merely the sound, or the combination of sounds, that we put to a specific concept. But to know and use exactly the right word in the right way at the right time is a rare gift. I hope I get that gift once or twice in my lifetime.
7. Meeting new people. Every person you will meet has an interesting story, and if you ask the right questions, you can elicit a tale of hope, or endurance, or good triumphing over evil, or cleverness. This amazes me every single time.
8. The Internet. Oh. My. Word. Seriously--is there anything better in the whole world than the Internet? It's unlimited access to information, to people, to the world!
9. Diet Coke. OK, so I'm addicted. I love the "Aaaaaahhhhh" that you get with the first sip. I drink it for breakfast. So shoot me--I'm culinarily shallow.
10. Friendship. I'm lucky enough to be married to my best friend. And you know what they say--you don't get to pick your family, but you get to pick your friends. "Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure." I am wealthy beyond imagination.
11. Humor. Does anything feel better than a laugh that makes you double over and fall on the floor? OK, well maybe some things do, like fiiiiiinally being able to pee after having to hold it for a super-long time, and some other things not mentionable on a rated PG blog. But I love a funny story, a clever joke, a dry sense of humor, a wacky situation, a hilarious line from a funny-enough-to-watch-over-and-over-again movie like Elf. I love to laugh.
What do you love?